On June 30, 2021, the Niagara AX platform reached its “end of life.” It’s being replaced by the more efficient and highly secure Niagara N4 platform. If you’re still running Niagara AX, there are a few notable changes that you should be aware of:
As of July 1st, 2021, the following applies to Niagara AX systems:
- No legacy JACE replacements
- No AX software Downloads
- No AX downgrade and license options
- No Security updates for JACE 2, 3, 6 and 7
- No AX upgrades
- License moves or replacement available only with active SMA
After July 1st, 2021, your Niagara AX system will continue to run—however—keep in mind that product support is now non-existent.
If you don’t upgrade, your current AX system could go down because of incompatibility issues with future Windows versions, databases, and browser updates. You will also be taking on a major security risk due to potential security vulnerabilities.
Niagara AX Drivers and JACE Considerations
Tridium, the maker of Niagara AX and N4, has provided detailed information on two important questions that existing AX users might have:
What options do Niagara AX users have for adding or replacing a JACE after July 1st, 2021?
- Before July 1, 2023, you can purchase a Software Maintenance Agreement (SMA) for your supervisor and migrate it to Niagara N4. This requires buying a JACE 8000 with a Niagara core and SMA, migrating the JACE station to Niagara N4, and then installing the migrated station into the JACE 800.
- For stocked AX downgrade parts, you can purchase a JACE 8000, downgrade to AX, and then copy the JACE station that you’re replacing into the new JACE.
- After July 1, 2023, you will need to buy a new Niagara 4 Supervisor license and JACE 8000 and migrate your supervisor and JACE stations to Niagara.
How to add a driver to JACE or AX Supervisor after July 1, 2021?
- If you have the AX driver part in stock, you can add it to your existing Niagara AX license.
- If you don’t have the software option in your software stock, you have no other choice but to upgrade to Niagara N4. You will need to upgrade your supervisor to N4 with an SMA before July 1st, 2023. After that date, you will be required to purchase a new N4 Supervisor license and may need to buy a JACE 8000.
Benefits of Migrating From AX to N4
Niagara N4 offers several improved features and security enhancements over the AX platform:
Built-in Cybersecurity — A new security dashboard will allow you to quickly pinpoint areas where you can make improvements. Signed jar files and role-based user access control help improve security.
New HTML 5 Interface — There is no need for special apps or browser plugins. Options for mobile-responsive graphics help ensure that you can access your system from any modern web browser on an internet-connected device.
Modern Data Analytics and Analysis Support — Tag your data with standard tagging models such as haystack. This feature supports custom tag dictionaries which provide you with flexibility.
Improved Historian — New bar and line charts provide a much more intuitive and scalable way to view your live and historical data.
New Dashboards — Create user-specific dashboards that contain tailored information via the new dashboard service feature.
Upgrade Your AX System to N4
Let MACC help you upgrade your legacy Niagara AX system to the new and improved N4. You’ll be able to take advantage of the improved performance, more robust security features, and modern data analytics capabilities. Click below to contact us to learn more about how MACC can assist with your Niagra upgrade!